Kitchener Waterloo Fighting Koalas

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 23rd

The day that was. We had our swim session at WLU today and 4 members came out. Included was our newest member and one that hasn't been out for awhile due to a death in the family. Long course swimming is always like truth serum. What I mean by that is whenever you swim the 50 metres as opposed to the 25 metres, having a good stroke technique comes to the fore front. You can get away with some mistakes swimming 25 metres as you get to push off the wall twice as much, not in long course. It is easier for your stroke to brake down as your set goes on.
Having the newest member out today I was able to watch her swim and noticed right away that she has had some swimming background as a youngster. Pretty easy to spot the swimmers that have had the early training versus those that haven't. Now it is just a matter of building up her endurance because after 30 minutes she was tired. Me, 30 minutes and I am just warming up some days!
Then later on in the day I went and met and signed up another new member. He is a funeral director and I met him at the funeral home! It is what it is and he is a nice guy, very genuine and I am looking forward to working with him and getting to know him better. He is very keen to train and do a try-a-tri to start, then do 1 or 2 sprint races this summer. Should be fun! I told him I definitely am going to set up a campsite at Guelph Lake 1 triathlon for the weekend for the KW Fighting Koalas. Pretty much all of us will be racing their that weekend and it will be a good social thing for us, bring out our families as well and have some fun!
Lastly, it was supposed to be our first official run practice at 6:30pm at Waterloo Park but no one showed up:) Three people told me they could not make it but didn't hear from the others. In talking to other people that have shown interest in the club they always ask what practices does the club have. Well we do have the swimming and now I have scheduled a run and bike practice so lets hope the members can make it out! I am really excited about the practices and coaching everyone.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment