Kitchener Waterloo Fighting Koalas

Thursday, March 4, 2010

My first blog post!

So exciting! This is my first blog post for KW Triathlon. I am the owner and head coach of the recently newly formed Kitchener-Waterloo Fighting Koalas triathlon club!
We currently have four members who I coach. I have designed each of them an individual training plan based on their strenghts and weaknesses and what their goals are. You can have all the science behind triathlon coaching you want but I believe in taking a step further , what I call the "artwork" of coaching. No two people are the same. What works for me may not work for you. What works for the pros may not work for a newbie.
The members that I currently have all need lots of work in the pool if they are to do a few races this summer. I have booked the WLU pool on Saturdays at 12 to 1pm but not every Saturday due to swim meets etc. We are now also doing Tuesday and Thursday swim session at the Rec centre pool. This week one of my members had made it out to both days as he can not make it out this Saturday. When we started just a few short weeks ago he was having a hard time swimming one lap, but now is progressing very nicely and even started to do flip turns today! Too funny. (Now to get him to be more consistent with the rest of his training!).
Here is todays workout: 4x50m warm up - 15sec rest, 2x100 single arm with kickboard and 4x25 counting strokes, 8x50m on 1min, 2x100m pull, 8x50m on 55 sec, 200 swim, 4x 50 ez cool down = 1600m. This was a challenging set for my member to do and he did very well. For me it was pretty easy but I really am focusing on my technique right now, feeling for the water, nice pulls underwater and finding my sweet spot of cadence and DPS and time. I firmly believe that this time of year is perfect for triathletes to really work hard on their form and effeciency in the water as opposed to hammering away huge sets. Trust me they will come and I have found over the years of racing that it does not do me any good to do huge sets this time of year. That and work on other strokes! I love to mix in some butterfly and backstroke in IM sets, something most triathletes loathe to do. Why is that?
Anyways, I then came home and did a nice 30 min spin on the bike at an easy resistance. im still a little gun shy about my hurt right knee that will probably need to get scoped later on thius year. The MRI is scheduled for April 12th and I will know more then. But needless to say I have not run since last October and on nice sunny days like today I sure do miss getting out for a nice run.
Tomorrow we are off to the Toronto International bike show and I will post show pics of all the cool bikes and bike stuff I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment